Engineering Students and Guests Explore Kimberley
Engineering Instructor Elroy Switlishoff has organized the trip to the East Kootenay on Saturday, September 10, bringing 24 students from his Introduction to Engineering class to tour the Kimberley Underground Mine and the SunMine Solar Facility.
There is also room for between 20 and 30 Selkirk College faculty, staff and guests at a cost of $50.
Coordinated with the East and West Kootenay Branches of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC, the field trip is just one event captured on camera this Saturday as Canadians take on the CTV challenge of filming what they are doing.
"This is a great opportunity to explore these sites in the East Kootenay while capturing on film a bit of what we do here at Selkirk College," says Switlishoff.
Canada in a Day is a CTV special created entirely of footage submitted by Canadians taken over a 24-hour period on September 10. A compilation will be used to showcase the nation as it celebrates its 150th anniversary.
Field Trip Itinerary:
- 7:30 AM (PST): Depart Queen City Charters, Nelson (pick up location), 56 passenger coach (bring your own munchies)
- 8:15 AM (PST): Pick-up at Salmo Esso station
- 12:30 PM (MST): Arrive Kimberley SunMine, walking tour
- 1:30 PM (MST): Depart Kimberley SunMine
- 1:45 PM (MST): Arrive Kimberley Platzl, everyone on their own for lunch
- 2:45 to 3:00 PM (MST): Walk to underground mine train station terminal, train tour
- 5:00 PM (MST): Depart Kimberley
- 7:15 PM (PST): Drop-off at Salmo Esso Station
- 8:00 PM (PST): Arrive Nelson
Please come equipped with sturdy walking gear as the terrain at the SunMine and portions of the underground mine tour are rocky and cobbly. Snack and drinks are not provided on the coach, so please bring along your own day packs.