Saints Come Out on Top in Wild Saturday Contest

Defeat Eastern Washington Just Before Time Expires


Selkirk College Saints defenceman Stefan Gonzales scored with just 0.2 remaining in regulation time to secure a 6-5 victory over the Eastern Washington University Eagles (EWU) in a wild game at the Castlegar Recreation Complex Saturday night.

The decisive goal came just moments after the Eagles looked to send the game into overtime with a tying marker from Tanner Hawes with just 38 seconds left in the third period. But sustained pressure in the Eagles’ zone led to a one-timer by the veteran blueliner as time ticked down. Gonzales made no mistake in beating EWU netminder Tyler O’Donnell who had little chance on the play.

Saints and rings

The 2013-14 Selkirk Saints Varsity Men's Hockey Team players received their championship rings last week to commemorate an amazing BCIHL season. Five of the members of this year's team who were on last year's squad--Ryan Procyshyn, Stefan Gonzales, Tanner Lenting, Darnell Dyck and Stefan Virtanen--showed off their new bling on on the Selkirk College Castlegar Campus.

The frantic ending came at the conclusion of a back-and-forth game that the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL) rivals combine for 11 goals.

A Good Old Fashioned Barnburner

The Eagles took early leads of 1-0 and 2-1, but back-to-back goals from Saints’ rookie Marc-Antonie Guimond and Thomas Hardy just 22 seconds apart put the hosts ahead 3-2 after the opening 20 minutes.

Hawes first goal of the night knotted the game in the second period and set up a final 20 minutes where the Saints twice captured and gave back the lead prior to Gonzales’ heroics.

Mike Vlanich picked up his first BCIHL win between the pipes for Selkirk College with a 26-save performance while O’Donnell made 24 stops in the loss.

Zellstoff Celgar was the game night sponsor for Pink in the Rink Night where the theme was to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer. In total more than $400 was raised.

On Friday night, the Saints traveled to Langley where they took on the first place Trinity Western University Spartans. The two teams were tied at the end of 40 minutes with Selkirk goals coming from Mason Spear, Matt Martin and Ryan Edwards. The Saints offence dried up in the final period, allowing the home side to skate away with a 5-3 win.

The Saints next game is this Saturday at the Castlegar Recreation Complex when they will again welcome Eastern Washington University. The puck drops at 7 p.m.


Learn more about the Selkirk College Saints Hockey team and join us on Twitter.