Supporting student learning.
The Teaching and Learning Institute (TLI) provides opportunities for faculty, instructors and other staff to discuss and explore traditional and innovative ideas about supporting our students’ learning.
Mentor Commons is an educational resource for all Selkirk College staff. The Online Learning Modules published by Magna offer instant access to 20 minute learning opporunities on over 200 topics. For more on how to access the library modules follow Magna Learning Module instructions. Watch for a Lunch & Learn session or contact Theresa Southam at the Teaching and Learning Institute at 250.505.1342 or by email.
Once you are signed in to Mentor Commons, check out these Video Learning Modules.
- How to Promote Growth Mindset with Three Simple Tips
- How Can I Create and Implement Microlectures (For Online Teaching)
- What Activities and Assignments Promote Critical Thinking?
Teacher Talks: The K-12 Learner - Join Martin Keyserlingk for this lunch time offering. Meet with a K–12 teacher who is currently implementing the new curriculum and learn how it will change our future students. On the Tenth Street Campus, November 28. Find out more... On the Castlegar Campus, November 30. Find out more...
Six Trending Topics in Teaching and Learning at Selkirk College
- Healthy Learning Environments
- Experiential Learning
- Intercultural Fluency
- 21st Century Learning
- Scholarly Teaching
Teaching Squares and Small Group Instructional Feedback
Building a teaching square or triangle involves two or three other colleagues, agreeing to visit each other's classes to learn from each other. Small Group Instructional Feedback is a process whereby your students give feedback through a facilitator and then the facilitator meets with you and your students to debrief.
Both processes are simple, fun and enlightening. If you are interested in participating in a teaching triangle/square or small group instructional feedback, please contact your Learning Fellow.
Who's Your Learning Fellow?
- School of Hospitality & Tourism - Robyn Mitz
- School of Environment & Geomatics - Rena Vandenbos
- School of the Arts - seeking
- School of Business - Carlos Rodriguez
- School of Health & Human Services - Rosalyn Grady & Shannon Shah & Julia Langham
- School of University Arts & Sciences - Jose Padilla
- School of International Education & Development - Darcy Falkenhagen
- Student Access & Support - Martin Keyserlingk
- Distributed Learning - Judy McIvor
- School of Industry & Trades - Craig McCallum
- School of Academic Upgrading & Development - Ron Grievson
- Library, Co-op Education and Employment Services, Community Education & Contract Training - Brenda Smith, Danielle Cossarini